Below is a list of the manners that are evaluated during the Community Canine Test. We have also included what needs to be done to pass each item. There are 10 tasks that must be completed in order to pass the CGC Evaluation. Here is a link to the AKC's Community Canine video explaining each item.
Dog stands, sits, or lies down, and waits under control while the owner
- sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, OR
- if the test is done in the community, the dog waits while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with another person
Dog walks on a loose leash in a natural situation an does not pull.
- Make a left turn
- make a right turn
- walk at a fast and slow pace
Dog walks on a loose leash through a crowd
- at a show or in a class
- in the community, dog walks on a sidewalk, through a crowd at a community fair, park, on a trail, etc
Dog walks past distractions and does not pull
- This item may be tested with item 3 if there are dogs in the crowd
- At show or class, Dog walks by dogs waiting in the crowd - dogs are 2ft apart
- in the community, dog walks by other dogs on a sidewalk, through a crowd at a community fair, park, on a trail,
Sit-stay in a small group (three other people and dogs)
- Owners and dogs are in and informal circle while owners have a conversation
- Dogs are all on the owner's left side, on leash, and 3 ft apart for at least 30 seconds
Dog allows a person carrying something (backpack, Computer bag, etc) to approach and pet him/her
- "May I pet your dog?"
- The carried item is placed on the ground before petting the dog.
"Leave It." Dog walks by food and follows owner's instructions to "leave it"
This food can be placed by the evaluator on the floor or ground in a food dish with a wire cover as in Rally
Down or Sit-stay (Owner's choice)
Dog is on a 20 ft line, owner walks away with back to the dog, picks up an item placed on the floor,chair, or ground by the evaluator and returns to the dog
Recall with distractions present.
Using 20ft line, owners goes out 20 ft and calls the dog.
Dog will sit or stand-stay while the owner goes through doorway or passage
- The Owner goes through a doorway or narrow passageway.
- Owner calls the dog through when ready.
- Owner may decide to send the dog through first or go together
- Whichever method is used, the dog must not pull the owner and must be under good control.